Flourless Chocolate Waffles & Green Lantern Cake

It's been ages since I wrote anything here... I've been taking pictures and noting down recipes to blog about but just haven't had the motivation to resume blogging - can't explain why.... 

We celebrated our son's birthday on August 5th and since he's into super heroes quite a bit, he wanted a Green Lantern Cake... (Green being his favorite color, this is the super hero he chose for his cake). I thought quite a bit about how to execute this and had a few ideas... one was to have cupcakes with the Green Lantern logo since that was fairly simple to draw... but the day before his birthday i decided to check out the 'Frozen Buttercream Transfer" method and looked at a few youtube videos before deciding on that approach... So i printed out a picture, whipped up some buttercream and gave it my best shot at tracing it. While there's a long way to perfection, this did the trick and my son was very happy with the result.  Here's a picture... 


Today,  I  wanted to post this super simple recipe for a flourless chocolate waffle... my husband said he enjoyed this at a restaurant near his office f so I wanted to give it a go at home and I must say that it was a hit...  It can be served plain or with some ice cream but it's quite decadent by itself. I replaced part of the eggs with flax seeds in an effort to make it healthier but perhaps replacing all of it may work too if you want an eggless version (though I haven't experimented with that myself)...


FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE WAFFLES 

Ingredients:
Unsalted Butter - 6 tbsp (if using salted, skip the added salt) 
Eggs - 2 (if not using flax seeds, use 4 eggs instead) 
Flax seeds - 2 tbsp, powdered
Water - 6 tbsp

Semisweet chocolate chips - 1 cup
Salt - a pinch
Vanilla - half tsp, optional


Method:
1) In a glass bowl combine butter and chocolate chips and microwave for a minute or two, stirring every 30 seconds after the first minute (for me it took about a minute and 30 seconds to melt the chocolate). 

2) Meanwhile combine the powdered flax seeds with 6 tbsp of water and allow to rest for about 5 mins. The texture will change to become sticky, similar to egg whites.

3) Beat the two eggs until combined and stir in the sticky flax seed mixture, with a pinch of salt and some vanilla. 

4) Combine this with the melted chocolate butter mixture.... waffle batter is now ready. 

5) Heat up the waffle iron and spray with some oil, pour about 1/3 of a cup of the batter, close and allow to cook... My waffle iron has an indicator to show when it's done... It may seem soggy initially, so be careful when getting it out... but it will firm up quite well when it cools down a tad. 

I know that this picture is not too tempting but trust me that that this is a winning recipe for chocolate lovers.



Comments

  1. Flourless waffles, totally fallen in love with it.. Green lantern cake looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts