Rice Cooker Mac'n Cheese

Like most kids, mine love macaroni and cheese and I usually try to appease them by making a baked version of macaroni and cheese with some broccoli and a crunchy crust (with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese, which I also have to post some time). But, then I saw this video from a website (weelicious) of this cute mom and son duo who cook up this ridiculously easy version of mac'n cheese using a rice cooker that I absolutely had to try. I don't have a fancy rice cooker, infact mine is so very basic that it doesn't even have a 'keep warm' button - (seriously)...  yet, I was able to make a decent mac'n cheese with minimal effort after making just a few tweaks..  My kids gave it a double thumbs up (make that 4 since i have 2 kids) and I particularly liked the texture of the pasta - it is cooked to perfection. This has now become my favorite way of making this.... You could also add some  par-boiled broccoli /carrots or other veggies if you prefer to the pasta for variations.

RICE COOKER MACARONI AND CHEESE




Ingredients:
Elbow Pasta (dried) - 2 cups
Water / Vegetable Stock - 1.5 cups (I have only tried with water so far but if you have veg stock go ahead and try).
Salt - 1 tsp (Reduce if using vegetable stock)
Milk (whole) - 1 cup
Cheese - 1.5 cups, shredded (I used a mix of cheddar and colby jack primarily and just a touch of mozzarella)
Butter/Ghee - little, melted


Method:
1) I found that it is helpful to butter the bottom of the dish you place in the rice cooker lightly to reduce sticking/burning.

2)Add pasta, water (or stock) with salt into the rice cooker bowl and switch it on. Allow to cook for 15 minutes.
3) Stir and add the milk at this point and allow to cook for another 10 -15 minutes (mine switches off when the cooking liquid evaporates).  Ensure the cooker is not too full to prevent the milk from boiling over in this step.
4) Open the lid and stir in the cheese. Cover and let sit for about 5 minutes (no need to switch it on again).
Yummy pasta is now ready to serve. If adding par-boiled veggies, add them while adding in the milk.

Comments

  1. This looks so good and the mention of cooker makes it all the more attractive.

    I don't buy the boxed macaroni and cheese because it bothers me but the kids would definitely like to try this once in a while I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful clicks. Amazing colour and texture
    Do visit my blog www.merrytummy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, love this method very much, who can resist to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got to give a try this one sounds too easy and yummy of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so yummy!will surely try out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm digging into the Mac n cheese I made following this to the t. Delicious.
    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sowmya, great to hear that you tried this out... Isn't it super easy and yum? Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts