Bean Burgers

I've been wanting to make something for the Legume Love Affair Event that Sra is hosting this month, that originated at Susan's, but the soup recipe I had in mind didn't work out. Looking for a bean burger recipe, I chanced upon this and it was super simple & easy so I set about making it and incorporated a few changes along the way. The chopped capsicum lent some crunch and I added some soy granules and some bread crumbs to improve the texture since I made it a bit too pasty. The resultant burger was very satisfying and I felt good about it being healthy too. The following measurements make 10 decent size patties and these can also be frozen for use later. I used chickpeas but quite a few beans will work... you can refer to the original site for more variations.

CHICKPEA (Channa) BURGERS


Ingredients:
Chickpeas/Garbanzo - 1 (15oz) can, drained completely
Onion - 1 medium, quartered
Garlic powder - quarter to half tsp
Rolled Oats - half cup
Chilli powder - 1 to 2 tsp
Egg - 1 (optional)
Soy Granules - 1/3 cup, dry
Green bell pepper - half cup, minced
Soft Bread Crumbs - 1/3 to 1/2 cup
Salt & Pepper - to taste
Oil - 2 to 3 tsp

Burger Fixings:
Burger Buns
Tomato slices
Onion Slices,
Cheese,
Lettuce or Spinach
Ketchup, Sriracha chilli sauce, Mayonnaise

Method:
1) In a food processor, add the onions and pulse for a few seconds before adding the drained chickpeas, oats, egg, chilli powder & garlic powder. Grind this to a coarse paste.


2) While the mixture rests, add the dried soy granules to boiling water and let stay for about 10 minutes before draining completely. Add the salt, pepper, soy mixture, bread crumbs and capsicum. Combine and allow to rest for a few minutes.

3) With slightly wet hands, form patties - i got 10 of them.

4) Heat a wide pan on medium and coat with a thin layer of oil... place a few and allow to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side till done completely & golden. I may consider baking them next time to get a uniform colouring.


6) Now they are ready to layer with the other ingredients onto burger buns and enjoyed.

Comments

  1. Thats an interesting fusion! Fully nutritious!Nice one laavanya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I've been looking for a recipe for these, just to eat as "cutlets", thanks, I've got one now.
    Btw, if you want to send that sundal recipe to MLLA you mentioned in a comment earlier this month, you can, there's two days left! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Laavanya,
    My tikkis with chickpeas(that I posted some time back) were inspired by Helene's recipe! :)

    Your version is so much more filling than mine. I like how you have incorporated soy protein as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks gorgeous and healthy Laavanya..

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bean burger looks healthy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey that's such a healthy patty.. love them.. i feel like having a burger now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a healthy one.. looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great Lavanya! can u suggest using anything in place of the soy nuggets? my hubby just doesn't like the taste:)

    I'd love to make these! in fact, I've been wanting to try these for quite some time now:) so thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow healthy Burger...tikkis looks delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, I love bean burgers and I really love chickpeas... They look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thats a healthy burger! and very interesting combo of ingredients.. I'm sure it will taste great.. My husband is a vegetarian and he's going to love it! Will try soon..

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks really nice. Happy Deepavali to you too... how was the celebration?

    ReplyDelete
  13. i am a huge fan of bean burgers and ur post came just in time as i am expecting few guests over the weekend who have two naughty kids. perfect timing Lav :) thanks dear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! I have a patty version of this on my blog. I just can't seem to get enough of the chick peas...

    ReplyDelete
  15. The burgers look amazing and healthy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Healthy burger..As Sra said can eat as cutlets too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is quite indian style cutlets.......I love to have them for my bfast.....BTW can i make them and freeze for a couple of weeks.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for sharing this nice recipe dear Laavanya.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Raks.

    Sra, infact I had a couple of these for lunch the next day with a soup. Have mailed you my entries :)

    Thank you Kitchen Flavours.

    TBC, oh just took a 2nd look at your channa tikkis :) cool.

    Thank you Sireesha, Cham & Divya.

    Thank you Sangeeth, Mahima & Anu.

    Mansi, you can just omit them completely. That was an add-on i incorporated.

    Thank you Priya, meeso & n33ma.

    Sujatha, thanks - i hope your husband likes it just as much.

    Thank you Raaga.. felt more like Deepavali in the evening when some friends came over.. the rest of the day was quite normal :)

    Thank you Kitchen Scientist.

    Sia, am glad to hear that.. hope the kiddos enjoy them.

    Thank you Anudivya - so many possibilities with channa.

    Thank you Kamala, Gita & Raaji.

    Hi Pooja, thanks.. how are you?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delicious burgers. So nutritious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts