SOFT GARLIC BREAD STICKS / ROLLS
All purpose Flour - 3 cups + a bit more
Active Dry Yeast - 1 packet (2 and 1/4 tsp)
Brown sugar - 1 tsp
Warm water - 1.5 cups (not too hot or cold)
Salt - 1 tsp
Olive oil - 2 tbsp
Dried Italian herbs - half tsp
For Garlicky Topping:
Butter (melted) - 1.5 tbsp
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Minced fresh garlic - 1.5 tbsp
Garlic powder - half tsp (optional)
Red Chilli flakes - half tsp to 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
- Mix all of the above in a small bowl.
1) For the dough: In half cup of warm water, mix in the brown sugar and yeast, cover and allow to proof for about 5 minutes. If the yeast is active, it will become foamy and rise up.
2) Stir in the italian herbs, salt and olive oil along with the proofed yeast and first add about 2.5 cups of flour. Slowly add the remaining warm water and knead to make a soft dough, adding flour as needed.
3) Place it in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise in a warm place (the oven with the light switched on always works for me) for about 1 hour.
4) Once doubled in size, punch down the dough and knead lightly again to make a ball. Roll out the dough into a rectangle, and put in a pan greased lightly (and dusted with some corn meal if you prefer). Allow the dough to rest for 15 to 20 minutes during which time you can preheat the oven to 425F.
5) Now spread the garlic topping on the dough as evenly as possible and allow to bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or till light golden. Remove, slice and serve and warm with some soup or as is.