Spicy Cabbage Curry

This is a very simple, spicy, dry curry and something that a friend whipped up. I've only made poriyals/thorans with cabbage or a few kootu varieties and that usually involves coconut but this just needs a bit of chilli powder and the channa dhal lends a bit of bite and comes together very quickly... so I was sure to try this at home and liked it.

CABBAGE CURRY


Ingredients:
Cabbage - 3 to 4 cups, chopped into half inch pieces
Onion - half of a medium one, sliced thinly into 1 inch pieces
Ginger - 1/4 inch piece, grated
Chilli powder - 1 to 2 tsp, or to taste
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste

Seasonings:
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - half tsp
Urad dhal - half tsp
Channa dhal - 1 tbsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Curry leaves - few

Method:
1) Heat the oil in a pan and add the seasonings, asafoetida and curry leaves.

2) Next add the ginger and onion and fry till transparent. Then add the chopped cabbage, chilli powder and salt.

3) Allow this to fry for a few minutes, sprinkle some water, cover and allow to cook on a medium flame, till done. I usually don't let it become too soft so there's a bit of crunch. Keep stirring every few minutes so it doesn't stick to the bottom.

4) When it's dry, remove from the stove and it's ready to serve.

Comments

  1. I have never made cabbage curry this way .. I always seasoned it with green chillies .. this one looks good .. should really go well with chapatis

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this curry, so good with roti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laav, this is real easy.Good to get on with when I'm feeling lazy to do anything elaborate.Wow and Niki will love to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OO that looks yumm. I love this curry even without any main dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum...i love cabbage curry...i know there are many who do not like it..they are really missing something here :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spicy and colorful curry Laavanya...very differernt from my usual poriyals :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this curry very much, good combo with rotis as well as with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious. I love that you added ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice variation that should be tried:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love any variation with cababge to make the dry curry. I love this best with yogurt rice. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks so delicious..would be wonderful with chapatis..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious and spicy... awesome clicks dear... thanks for the recipe.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my favourite, naan appadiye saapiduven, i dont even go for rice for this curry!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with the commentors. This does look very colourful and appetizing. I love cabbage in which way so this is something I shall have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this variation of cabbage curry,never quite made it in this manner....

    ReplyDelete
  16. never made cabbage in this way at home. Will give a try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts