Avarakkai Poricha Kootu

I love kootus and find them so wholesome and satisfying. Most of the time, I don't even need rice to go along with it and can eat it like a thick soup by itself. Poricha kootus are made more flavorful and have a different spice mixture going in than the usual kootus which typically have cumin + chillies + coconut. Several veggies will be suitable for this kootu and I chose to make a version with Avaraikkai (Broad beans/hyacinth beans).

AVARAKKAI PORICHA KOOTTU


Ingredients:
Avaraikkai - about 25-30 small ones, chopped into half inch pieces
Mung Dhal - 1/4 cup, toasted lightly
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida Powder - a couple pinches
Tamarind paste (thick) - 1/4 tsp (i used the canned one)
Salt - to taste
Curry leaves - few
Mustard seeds, Urad Dhal - 1/4 tsp each
Oil - 2 tsp

To Grind:
Red Chillies - 3
Urad dhal - 1 to 2 tsp
Black pepper - 6 peppercorns
Curry leaves - few
Roast the above in a tsp of oil and grind with
Shredded coconut - 3 tbsp to a paste with sufficient water.

Method:
1) Pressure cook mung dhal with sufficient water & turmeric till soft. Cook avarakkai with some salt & water separately till done. (Alternately this could be done as a separate layer in the cooker with no water alongwith the mung dhal).

2) When the veggies are done, add the tamarind paste, mung dhal and the ground paste and allow to cook for a few minutes till desired consistency is reached. Switch off the stove.

3) Heat the remaining one tsp of oil and season with mustard seeds, urad dhal, asafoetida & curry leaves and add to the kootu.



If koottus are not your thing, try this Avarakkai Aviyal - a tasty, dry curry.

Comments

  1. Wow this kootu looks so yumm, i would love to eat them with plain rice than roti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, I would love to cook with Avarekai beans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks yummy..i would love to cook avarakkai beans..since its my fav...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love poricha kootu.It looks yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hav always wondered wats the difference between kootu and poricha kootu,thanks for clearing my doubt!
    I too am a kootu lover like u!Looks very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy... I too love kootu... it can be had with rice/chapthis... and also like u said, can be had just by itself too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. kootu looks delicious. great with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For some reason I have never tried poricha kootu, have to give it a shot. Will Green beans or cabbage work?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love kootu...

    Kootu looks delicious. Thanks for sharing so many yummy vegan recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love poricha kootu, i too have my version! Good and tasty one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kootu is lip smacking... Lovely dish, its definitely wholesome, but there seems to be only one issue, the dish is only virtual :( I cant taste it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love porichhcha koottu :) This looks delicious! We make without tamarind though...we add generous amounts of saambaar podi to spice it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks very delicious, poricha kootus are my favorite! I like to have them with rice and rasam, yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like avarekkai,kootu looking delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy! I love avarakkai.. We dont find them here :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooh, kootu looks so good and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow.. looks perfect & delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  18. poricha kootu is one of my favourites. Never made them with avarakkai though. Sounds very delicious to me..the avarakkai avial too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm starving now, and drooling on your koottu :) Looks delicious.. and this recipe is indeed different than the regular kootus.. But, I hardly see avarakkai these days in my grocery store.. will look for it next time..

    ReplyDelete
  20. kootu this style absolutely new to me.my mil makes the same with keerai.we call it 'puliitta kootu'.me and my daughter is a lover of all kootus.

    ReplyDelete
  21. kootu looks yummy...i love avarakkai......

    ReplyDelete
  22. my sis in law made porichakootu with drum stick today..never knew there were so many options for kootus..looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Delicious recipe Laavanya! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow kottu looks yummy.. this time i didnt get good avarekai :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. True...Koottu is always a comfort food..like this one..simply yum dear..:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never had this, tho' it looks traditional enough.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you all for your comments.

    Indo.. i've not used beans before.. but cabbage, pumpkin, chayote, snakegourd should all work, typically with this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I tried this koottu today, and it came out awesome!!

    After a long time, I spotted avarakkai in my local grocery today.. and I snatched it right away! Made this koottu for dinner and we all loved it.. had a great dinner! thanks for sharing such a nice recipe Laavanya!

    ReplyDelete
  29. we grow avaraikai by the tons in new orleans. I give it away at the temple to people for years. My mother love avaraikai kootu. My husband loves it I make it freeze it give it away. Never ends in the fall.
    sue

    ReplyDelete
  30. looks good. but a small correction. we though have our own version of cooking style, poricha koottu will not have any tangy taste to it like tamarind or tomato. it is only a combination of some or most of the veggies+ moong dhal+ frying items

    frying item combination 1: coconut+jeera+green chillies
    frying item combo 2: urad dhal+pepper (coconut optional)
    poricha koottu is a simple yet tasteful dish. thanks for posting :) happy cooking

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and providing your valuable feedback. NOTE: I have disabled Anonymous comments (since I was getting a lot of spam).

Popular Posts