Imagine my joy when I found out that this is really easy to put-together at home and can be eggless too. It takes less than 30 minutes to whip this up, once refrigerated for the flavours to blend, it's ready to enjoy... I made this for a friend's birthday and it's best to make this when you have company because it's so easy to indulge a bit more than you should...
Mascarpone Cheese - 8 oz
Heavy Whipping Cream - 10 oz
Icing (Powdered) Sugar - 5 tbsp
Espresso / Strong Coffee - about 8 ounces
Kahlua (Coffee Liquer) - 2 to 3 tsp (I didn't use this)
Lady Fingers / Sponge cake / Angel Food Cake - as required to form 2 layers.
Dark chocolate curls / grated - for garnish
Cocoa Powder - 1 tsp (for coffee mixture above) + 2 tsp for garnish
1) For the coffee mixture, boil 8 ounces of water, switch off the flame and add 2 tsp of instant coffee powder and 1 tsp of plain cocoa powder. If using kahlua add it to the coffee mixture when slightly cooled. The Coffee mixture should be lukewarm, not hot, when the cakes are dipped.
2) I used mini angel food cake that I had on hand this time but have used ladyfingers previously. If using angel food cake, cut them into small slices.
3) Beat the mascarpone cheese, whipping cream , the icing sugar and 2 to 3 tsp of the coffee mixture on medium till thick and creamy (from a liquid state it will thicken up in a few minutes).
4) Dip each piece of the cake in the coffee mixture on both sides, just for a few seconds and place them as a single layer in the serving bowl. (You can make individual desserts or put them all in one bowl like I have).
5) Top with half of the mascarpone mixture - smoothen it out.
6) Repeat by doing a second layer of coffee dipped cake and top again with the remaining mascarpone cheese.
7) Dust with cocoa powder (Take 2 tsp of cocoa in a wire-mesh sieve and sprinkle over the tiramisu). Top with chocolate curls (if using), refrigerate for atleast 5 to 6 hours or overnight.
8) Slice and dig in!
5 minutes and 4 people later: